In the medical field, there have been so many breakthroughs that have led to the saving of millions of lives. Scientists and engineers have been on their toes to ensure that they come up with medical tools that make the process of diagnosing and treating patients faster and more efficient. In the recent past, when patients visited the hospital for treatment, samples to be tested would be taken and the patients would have to go back home or be admitted for hours/days, depending on the severity of their conditions while waiting for the test results.
This is not the case nowadays as the advancement of technology has enabled patients to receive care and treatment while in bed. Point-of-care testing involves performing medical tests on the patients without the need for them to go into the laboratory. Promise pharmacy offers cholesterol testing, A1C, and blood glucose testing services to its patients.
Blood Glucose Testing
This procedure involves either pricking a finger or using a syringe to draw blood from a patient to test the quantity of glucose in the blood. Our bodies naturally convert the carbohydrates we consume to glucose which is our primary source of energy. A high level of glucose in our bodies can be a sign of type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, or gestational diabetes. There are three types of blood glucose tests that we conduct at-promise pharmacy which include;
- Fasting blood sugar testing: a patient is advised to fast for at least 8hrs before taking this test or take first thing in the morning before consuming breakfast. Under this condition, a blood sugar level is termed normal if it is less than 100 mg/dL. One is considered prediabetes if they have a blood sugar from 100 to 125 mg/dL. More than one test indicating a reading of above 126 mg/’dL confirms the patient is diabetic.
- Random blood sugar test: as the name suggests, this test can be done any time without considering when you last ate or didn’t. Diabetes is confirmed by a reading of more than 200 mg/dL.
- Oral glucose tolerance test: this involves a patient fasting for 8hours and having their blood sugar tested. We then offer the patient a sugary drink, and then check their blood sugar level consecutively for the next two hours. A reading of above 200mg/dL indicates the patient has diabetes.
This is a more widespread method of measuring blood glucose in our bodies. It can indicate what percentage of a patient’s hemoglobin is glycated, i.e., coated with sugar. A higher percentage suggests a possibility that the patient is diabetic. High blood sugar could have detrimental effects on a person’s health, therefore, the need to manage the condition.
There are no set conditions that a patient needs to adhere to before taking the test like not eating. A normal blood sugar starts from 5.7 percent going downwards, prediabetes patients have a percentage of between 5.8 and 6.4, and more than one test with a percentage of 6.5 and higher is proof of diabetes.
Cholesterol build-up in our bodies can lead to fatalities caused by a heart attack or a stroke. The problem is that the body displays no symptoms to indicate high cholesterol levels. It is always wise to come in and have yourself tested especially if you have some risk factors like being overweight, diabetic, heart attacks, or high cholesterol cases in the family, or if you are a smoker. We conduct a full cholesterol test that involves calculating the amount of four types of fats in the blood.
- A total of all the cholesterol present in the blood. A reading of above 200 mg/dL is considered high.
- Low density lipoprotein cholesterol: its build-up in the body leads to blocked arteries causing strokes or heart attacks. It is often referred to as the ‘bad cholesterol.’ A reading from 100 mg/dL is high for people with heart disease while a 130 mg/dL reading or higher is considered borderline high for people with no heart issues.
- High density lipoprotein cholesterol: responsible for eliminating the LDL cholesterol in the arteries. A reading of 40mg/dL or higher is encouraged.
- Triglycerides: the body stores excess calories as triglycerides. These fats cause a person to become overweight as they are stored in the fat cells. A reading of 150 mg/dL and above is high.
Whether you are coming in to take any of these tests for the first time or to see how well you are managing your condition, promise pharmacy will make it a quick and painless process. Our specialists are equipped with the latest technological tools that will facilitate a safe, fast, and accurate procedure. We also offer guidelines and medications to help you on your journey of managing these conditions.
Give us a call or come into our conveniently accessible Palm Harbor location today and speak with one of the highly qualified and professional members of our staff today and let us help you understand how we can help improve your healthcare journey and get you on the way to better health in no time at all.